The Dragonflies Class: a Junior Kindergarten Class for highly capable 4 and 5 year olds
- 1:4 teacher-child ratio
- Small homerooms to build a caring community
- Monday-Friday, 9:30am-1:00pm, with optional early care starting at 9:00am
- Since 2007, 88% of Bellevue Discovery preschoolers have moved on to gifted programs
- Dragonflies Flexible Schedule
- Poster about the Dragonflies Class
- A Sample Week’s Curriculum in the Dragonflies Class
The Dragonflies Curriculum
Skill-Based Instruction: art, science, math, reading, writing, and kindergarten readiness, with small group hands-on activities and weekly Building Block classes (Drama Club, Math Games, School Skills and Science Lab)
Play-Based Exploration: fostering social-emotional growth, divergent thinking, executive function skills and foundational learning about our world
Inquiry-Based Learning: nurturing the 21st Century Skills of communication, collaboration, critical thinking and creative production
Project-Based Learning with the Dragonflies: The children engage in a year-long project, with weekly problem-solving challenges. Each child will present their culminating project to our entire preschool community at the Dragonflies Project Presentation in the spring.
Best Practices: Bellevue Discovery teachers follow NAEYC and NAGC best practices (National Association for the Education of Young Children; National Association for Gifted Children). We work closely with the admissions directors at local independent gifted schools to ensure our children are fully prepared to thrive in kindergarten.